We may already be a few days into 2018, but it’s not too late to set some New Year resolutions! Global luxury travel network Virtuoso® believes that a new year means fresh opportunities to better ourselves as well as others and the world around us. For those who might be a little late in setting out their travel goals for the year ahead, look no further than Virtuoso’s list of eight travel resolution suggestions for 2018 and tips on how to make them happen…
- Travel more. Virtuoso understands that the very act of visiting somewhere new makes people happier, healthier, more creative, more relaxed and more successful at work. Don’t leave hard-earned holiday time unused. Pick a quieter time of year and book in advance. If time and money are issues, even weekend getaways will scratch the wanderlust itch.
- Volunteer. Voluntourism is rising in popularity as people welcome the chance to do good, learn and travel at the same time. After a year plagued by natural disasters, there are many opportunities to help popular travel destinations. Grace Bay Club in the Turks and Caicos Islands can arrange for guests to help with local recovery efforts in the aftermath of hurricanes Irma and Maria.
- Learn a new skill. Master Italian cooking in Tuscany (the 2018 Virtuoso Luxe Report cites food and wine travel as a top trend). Whether dusting off rusty school-level French in Paris or honing photography talents while capturing memories of the trip, travel comes with a built-in education and the ability to learn at every turn.
- Be kind to the environment. Discover how to make a difference as a sustainable traveller and put your knowledge into practice. El Silencio Lodge & Spa, an eco-luxury hotel in Costa Rica, offers 500 private acres of carbon-offsetting cloud forest, hidden waterfalls, and organic cuisine. Each suite sits on above-ground pillars to respect the forest’s natural topography and features bamboo ceiling tiles, energy-efficient lighting, and an energy-saving electric heater.
- Conquer a fear. Virtuoso believes the beauty of travel is that it can push travellers beyond their comfort zones. From the more adventurous it may be swimming with sharks in Mexico or skydiving in New Zealand, to something less extreme like traveling solo or voyaging to an off-the-beaten path destination, the options are endless for broadening horizons.
- Deepen a friendship. Travel brings people together and strengthens relationships through shared experiences. Consider those beyond immediate family – an old university friend or favourite cousin makes the perfect travel companion. Spending quality time together deepens existing bonds and creates a lifetime of memories.
- Get in travel shape. Combine travel with the ever-popular improved fitness resolution. If your style is yoga, meditation and massages in a Zen-like setting, visit a wellness resort for relaxation and rejuvenation. If you prefer a high level of activity with an adrenaline kick, plan an adventure to help you shape up or burn calories. That could be anything from skiing in Switzerland to kayaking in Canada.
- Become a global citizen. The United Nations World Tourism Organization reports that more than one billion tourists cross international borders each year. Travel fosters greater appreciation of other countries and cultures, and makes one realize they are part of a larger global community.
Virtuoso can offer additional help to think up and stick to 2018 travel resolutions, through its expert travel advisors that partner with travellers to create unforgettable experiences. If you don’t have a Virtuoso travel advisor, resolve to find one in 2018 by visiting www.virtuoso.com.